The picot cuff (More details on the Pomatomus)

My first!  Unlike most of the instructions I’ve seen, this was worked on a toe-up sock.  A picot edge is created by folding over a section of knitting that has a row of eyelets running down the fold line.  The easiest way to create the eyelets is to do (YO, k2tog) for the whole row.

Most instructions for a picot cuff have you start with a provisional cast on.  Next, you knit the fold over section of the cuff (stockinette), then your eyelet row, then the rest of the cuff (stockinette).  Now you are ready to fold the cuff up!  You do this by knitting each stitch from your needles together with the corresponding stitch from the provisional cast on.  But I was knitting in the other direction.

Knitting toe-up, I put a lifeline in when I was ready to start the cuff.  I then knit the two stockinette portions and the eyelets.  Then the tricky part.  I picked up the stitches marked by the lifeline onto a spare needle, then grafted them together with the live stitches on the needles to finish.

Dsc02544

Ta-daaa!

It was a pain, but worth it!  The grafting took – literally – hours.  The cuff is very stretchy and looks very ‘finished’.  There is none of the tightness associated with a regular cast off at the cuff.  There are a couple of things I’d do differently next time, though:

  1. Knit the round marked with a lifeline with needles a size larger.  This will give room for two passes of yarn through the stitches, and make the grafting easier.
  2. Knit one less round on the second side of the cuff than on the first.  The second side of the cuff is the inner side, and the grafting round is a knit round in its own right.  If the inner cuff is longer than the outer, the picots tend to fall outwards.

Of course, I’ll have to do the second Pomatomus the same way as the first, but I’ll remember this for the future…

One down, one to go…

The first of my Pomatomus socks is finished!  Worked both toe-up and top-down from a provisional cast-on at the ball of the foot, it features a sandal-toe and my first picot cuff – which flares rather and was a pig to bind off.  Now I just have to knit another….

Dsc02541

I’ve actually lost track of how long I’ve been knitting these.  They are my travelling project, which means they get very little concentrated knitting time.  They don’t make for good occasional knitting, actually, as the pattern is rather involved and not easy to just ‘pick up and work a few rows’.  I also had to rip back most of the leg when I found I’d made it too narrow!

Knitting at both ends

I think eight needles in one sock is something of a record for me.  This is my first Pomatomus sock, in progress.

Dsc02440

I wanted to make these socks as long as possible – so obviously, they need to be knit toe-up.  But I also wanted to make them toe-socks, which I have got a working formula for – but only knit cuff-down.  So, cue provisional cast-on.

Once I’d knit most of the foot, I picked up the cast on stitches and knit my usual toe-sock toe, then – onwards and upwards!

Complete with trying them on in the railway station waiting room, of course…
Dsc02443


© Copyright yarninmypocket - Designed by Pexeto