I'm currently knitting the Gathered Pullover from Interweave Knits, Winter 2007 (Ravelry link), and by and large, it's been a lot of fun.
The body is knit bottom up, in the round, which equates to a lot of mindless knitting until the interesting knot comes along. It's the first time I've done this, so I was looking forwards to easy knitting and minimal finishing. The sleeves are supposed to be knit in the round, too, so the only seaming you have to do is to join the shoulders and insert the sleeves. In theory.
The mindless knitting was good. The interesting knot was good, too:
The body did indeed seem to be completed quickly:
The first sleeve, though, not so good:
*Hideous* tramlines. This was done on DPNs, as suggested in the pattern, and I just couldn't get rid of them. This is the result of advancing the needle changeover by one stitch each round: diagonal tramlines. I bought the DPNs specially for this project, and I hate them, too. They're too long, so they poke me in the right boobie when I knit. They're rattly, too. Why are some metal needles noisier than others?? Despite being stockinette in the round, this was not mindless knitting. It was irritating: irksome, fretful, slow and annoying.
So I'm knitting the sleeves flat. I think it will take less time to do this and seam them than it will to futz with the stupid extra-long DPNs. One is complete; the second one is maybe a third of the way there. Progress!!
I am so very behind with my blogging. I have SCA photos, knitting updates, the mystery crochet project, dyed yarn – you name it.
I've composed many, many blog posts in my head, but the time to actually type them seems to be lacking. And – here's the thing – I hate photoless posts. And I accidentally removed my photo editing software from my laptop in a fit of overzealous house-keeping a few months ago.
I didn't like it anyway. But my camera takes dark photos, which are all but useless for my bloggy purposes.
I'm currently downloading The GIMP – which is **free!!** – just to see if I can get on with it. So. A pictureless blog post to tell you that I hate pictureless blog posts, but I'm downloading picture-software to fix the whole problem.
I've been slowly working towards weaving with the yarn I'm spinning from my wonderful free fleeces – as featured in this post. Almost a year ago, I purchased a Louet Klik loom, gently used, from a fellow member of the Online Guild of Weavers, Spinners and Dyers (Hello Rachel!!) and I finally managed to get a warp on the thing. No photos – my camera was conspicuous by its absence through most of the procedure.
Unlike the only loom to be featured so far on this blog, this is *not* a rigid heddle loom. It is an expandable system with up to sixteen harnesses (a rigid heddle is roughly the equivalent of a two harnesses loom; add an extra heddle and it becomes three harness, and so on). The more harnesses, the more complex the weave structure. For this weave, I'm using four harnesses:
By changing the order in which you raise and lower the harnesses, you get different weaving patterns. When I wove the header on this warp, using black crochet cotton as weft, I started out weaving tabby, then switched to 2/2 twill, the intended weave for this warp:
In this photo, you can see the two sections of header, plus the very start of the 'real' weaving, using handspun warp and weft.
Half an hour's weaving tonight has increased the 'real weaving' area considerably:
Though why I chose to photograph the 'bad' selvedge I have no idea.This both looks and feels so wonderfully like 'proper fabric' that I can't quite believe it, and I'm quite giddy.
I'm steaming through my current knitting project, but there hasn't been much to show for it yet. This is partly because I've had a cold that's kept me away from work for a while, so there has been plenty of sofa-based knitting time. It's also partly because there has been a lot of stockinette in the round, which is very fast, but not very photogenic. I completed the 'interesting bit' on Friday night, but sadly can't even show that to you, as I have apparently misplaced my camera.
So imagine, if you will, a cunningly wrought cable, in tweedy, purply yarn, which will identify the sweater to cognoscenti as the Gathered Pullover (Ravelry link) from Interweave Knits Winter 2007. I'm nearly done with the body; the sleeves hopefully shouldn't take long.
Hopefully, because I want to wear this sweater, and because I'm absolutely *itching* to knit some stranded (Fair Isle) vests to wear with shirts and tweedy trousers for my winder wardrobe. I've accrued quite a few patterns in my Ravelry queue, all similar, but all subtly different.
There is Eunny Jang's Ivy League vest, again from Interweave Knits Winter 2007:
I don't like the colours that this vest is in, but I love the design.
There is the Fyne vest by Marie Wallin, from Rowan 42:
This is very appealing because the ribbing will help keep a snug fit, and because of the deep ribbing, the vest isn't totally covered in colourwork, which should speed things up a bit.
There is the Nederland vest, which has even less colourwork, but which would look fab worked up in a tweedy yarn, I think. The very untweedy yarns used in this sample make the pattern too bald, too graphic for my tastes:
And last, but not least, is Moor, from Rowan's book "A Yorkshire Fable". Someone on Ravelry has made a version of this with a scoop neck, instead of the original high crew neck, and I love this the *most*:
I think either this or Fyne will be my next project.